The Collaboratory at TU Dublin
Cyber Security Research & Innovation Lead
The Collaboratory is TU Dublin’s newest innovation, technology and industry solutions hub, and will specialise in Cyber Security, Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence. The Collaboratory will prepare industry to address the threat that emerges when AI and IoT advancements are vulnerable to or threatened by cybercrime. The centre is co-located within the Learning & Innovation Centre (LINC) at the TU Dublin Blanchardstown campus. The Collaboratory has received funding under Enterprise Ireland’s Regional Enterprise Development Fund (REDF) and is structured as a Designated Activity Company (DAC) wholly owned by the University. The Collaboratory will become a catalyst for innovation in the Dublin North West region and be a key enabler of and conduit for collaboration between industry and the University by making accessible the University’s academic expertise, research and development capabilities, and technical facilities in a supported, curated and collaborative manner.
The Cyber Security Research & Innovation Lead will be a key member of the Collaboratory. The role represents an opportunity for an individual to help establish the ethos, direction and research programme of the Collaboratory. The Cyber Security Research & Innovation Lead will respond to problems facing industry partners but will also bring new developments – in conjunction with academic colleagues from the University – to the attention of industry to support competitiveness in the region.
This is not a traditional role with a pre-defined work programme. The successful candidate will need to be fast-thinking and adaptive, possess verve and creativity, and be willing to contribute to all facets and functions of the Collaboratory during its first three years of activity as the newest industry-facing solutions initiative in TU Dublin. The successful candidate will have a high level of autonomy with concomitant responsibility from the start. The candidate will be joining an R&D team comprising two other Research & Innovation Leads (AI and IoT), supported by a Technical Project Manager and state-of-the-art technical training and product development facilities. The candidate will report to the Collaboratory Manager.
This role would ideally suit an individual who is currently in a private sector R&D role and is looking to move into a different space at the interface of industry-academia cyber security solutions development. The role would equally suit an individual in academia who wants to move to a space that supports the development and deployment of applied cyber security solutions.
· To conduct activities of applied research and development under the supervision and direction of the Collaboratory Manager.
· To engage in writing funding applications with enterprise partners of the Collaboratory.
· To engage in the dissemination of R&D work as appropriate.
· To originate new project ideas and champion these towards implementation.
· To grow and develop relationships with industry.
· To develop content and case studies for promotion of technical services available at the Collaboratory.
· To contribute towards tech transfer outcomes.
· To engage in the wider R&D and scholarly activities of TU Dublin.
· To interact closely with academics and postgraduate research students who are engaged in applied research in conjunction with the Collaboratory.
· To carry out administrative work to support R&D activities.
· The employee will be expected to carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
· A Masters qualification in Computer Science or related area (minimum 2.1 Grade).
· Experience in a wide range of topics in Cyber Security.
· Experience of manging risk assessment and security operations.
· Experience of working as a cybersecurity analyst.
· Experience of working in a SOC environment.
· Strong technical skills in network design, configuration and security.
· Strong Web development skills.
· Strong programming skills in several computer languages and scripting.
· Critical thinking skills, data analysis skills and a demonstrated ability to integrate these skills into effective experimental design, execution, creative solutions, reporting, and dissemination.
· A minimum of three years’ industrial experience in development role or in an academic research role.
· Excellent written and oral proficiency in English.
· Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
Desirable skills and experience:
· A PhD qualification in Computing Science or related area.
· Existing relationships within the cyber security, IoT, AI, tech industry in Ireland.
· Demonstrable project management skills.
· Experience of teaching industrial certifications in Cyber Security.
· Experience of working in a Higher Education or Training environment is a distinct advantage.
· Research ability demonstrated by peer-reviewed conference or journal publications.
· Marketing & Communication skills and experience.
· Customer focused people skills.
· Strong communication skills with the ability to work in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment.
· Experience winning funding and managing budgets.
· Experience working in collaboration with industry on technical projects.
· Experience of working in an Irish and/or European funded research environment.
· Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, with the ability to represent the Collaboratory and TU Dublin with external stakeholders.
· Ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a team.
· Excellent organisational skills with the ability to deal with competing priorities.
· The ability to build and sustain strong and trusting working relationships.
Terms: Salary €58,000. This is a role with the Collaboratory (Designated Activity Company), and not directly with TU Dublin. The Collaboratory is wholly owned by TU Dublin. The recruit will be hired by the Collaboratory, not the University, and as such, this is not a public service role.
Contract: 2.5 years (30 months)
Applications: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and CV to [email protected] by 5pm on Monday 03/05/21.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com